2013 Harley-Davidson FXSB Breakout (OE)
2013 Harley-Davidson FXSB Breakout (OE)
The 2013 year is huge for Harley-Davidson. Not only stateside, but globally.
This year marks the 110th anniversary of the Milwaukee-based motorcycle manufacturer, with celebrations spread across the globe. Besides a blowout at Sturgis Motorcycle Rally Aug. 5-11, The Motor Company has planned parties throughout the year in Australia, South Africa, China, Mexico and Italy, to name a few.
And to hype up the revelry, H-D has released an OE (Original Equipment) version of CVO Breakout, a bike that was released this past summer with a $26,499 base price.
This more friendly-priced Breakout, which carries an MSRP of $17,899 in Vivid Black, was unveiled Friday at pre-game stages of Daytona Bike Week, the iconic event that kicks off the riding season for many V-Twin enthusiasts.
Unlike the high-priced CVO Breakout that is powered by the 110 Screamin’ Eagle engine, the OE 2013 Breakout arrives with the 103B counter-balanced V-Twin engine that produces 95.5 ft. lbs. of torque. Like other 2013 Softails, the 103 c.i. (1690cc) engine is hooked to a 6-speed Cruise Drive transmission, and features Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI) and Automatic Compression Release (ACR) for easy starting.
Styling is key, the Breakout featuring a low-slung design with thick forks, chopped fenders, and a 240mm rear tire.
Speaking of the Breakout, Michael Goche, Product Planning Manager at Harley-Davidson, says: “ You can sum up what this motorcycle is in three words – it’s powerful, it’s profiling, and it has attitude. It’s a beefy motorcycle – from the 240mm rear tire to the 21-inch front wheel, it screams profiling, a lot of what you see in the customized markets in places like Germany. Everything about it is long and low, and has a very powerful stance to it.”
Helping to add to the “sinister” image is “more evil looking” 10-spoke Gasser wheels, which hail from the 1960s Gasser drag cars. These wheels are combined with various gloss-black finishing pieces, such as the lower forks, brake rotors, thick 1.25-inch handlebars, and muffler shields.
Other highlights include a low, 24.7-inch seat that allows to rider to sit “in the bike,” a removable pillion for a further clean look while riding solo, a clean console layout that helps the rider visualize a low look, and unique medallion Harley-Davidson badge on the 5-gallon gas tank.
The OE Breakout was developed in conjunction with the CVO Breakout, but Harley stayed hush on the details until now. This is the first time a CVO model was turned into an OE model, but we’ll save that story for later. Stay clicked to UltimateMotorCycling.com for a First Ride Review of the 2013 Harley-Davidson Breakout, which will be followed by a full review in Ultimate MotorCycling magazine.
Following are the highlights, specs, color options and MSRP for the 2013 Harley-Davidson Breakout:
2013 Harley-Davidson Breakout Highlights:
- The 2013 Harley-Davidson Breakout motorcycle is a long and low-slung Softail model with distinctive finishes and specific components. The Breakout model features a wide rear tire visually balanced with thick forks and chopped fenders, while a shaved tank console and a drag handlebar keep the profile low. A Twin Cam 103 powertrain and other components are trimmed in gleaming chrome and gloss black paint.
- The Softail chassis mimics the clean lines of a vintage hardtail frame, but utilizes rear suspension control provided by coil-over shock absorbers mounted horizontally and out of sight within the frame rails. The rigid-mounted, counter-balanced powertrain creates a solid connection between the rider and the power that moves the motorcycle, enhancing the emotional experience of riding.
- Rigid-mounted, air-cooled, 1690 cc Twin Cam 103BTM counter-balanced engine with Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI), Automatic Compression Release (ACR), rated at 95.5 ft. lbs. peak torque at 3000 rpm
- 6-speed Cruise Drive transmission
- H-D Smart Security System with proximity-based, hands-free security fob and Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) are factory-installed options
- Twin Cam 103B powertrain finished in Black powder-coat with chrome covers
- NEW Gloss Black single-rib cast aluminum oil tank
- Staggered, straight cut chrome mufflers with Gloss Black muffler shields
- Gloss Black Gasser Cast Aluminum wheels with machined highlights
- Chopped front and rear fenders
- Polished forged aluminum rear fender supports
- Wide front end with Gloss Black fork lowers and headlamp bucket
- 1.25-inch Gloss Black drag-style handlebar on pull-back riser
- Four-inch riser-mounted speedometer
- Chrome-plated low-profile console
- Black two-piece, two-up seat with removable pillion
- Side-mounted license plate and combination stop/turn/tail light
- Glass-filled fuel tank medallions
2013 Harley-Davidson Breakout Specs:
- Type: Air-cooled, Twin Cam 103B
- Valves: Pushrod-operated, overhead valves with hydraulic, self-adjusting lifters; two-valves per cylinder
- Bore x Stroke: 3.875 in. x 4.38 in.(98.4 mm x 111.1 mm)
- Displacement: 103 cu. in. (1690 cc)
- Compression Ratio: 9.6:1
- Fuel System: Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI)
- Primary Drive: Chain, 34/46 ratio
- Final Drive: Belt, 32/66 ratio
- Clutch: Multi-plate, wet
- Transmission: 6-speed Cruise Drive
- Length: 96.3 in. (2445 mm)
- Overall Width: 36 in. (915 mm)
- Overall Height: 40.9 in. (1040 mm)
- Seat Height: Laden – 24.7 in. (627 mm); unladen – 26 in. (660 mm)
- Ground Clearance: 4.7 in. (120 mm)
- Rake (steering head): 35 °
- Fork Angle: 37°
- Trail: 5.7 in. (146 mm)
- Wheelbase: 67.3 in. (1710 mm)
- Weight: Dry – 680 lbs. (308 kg); Wet, 710 lbs. (322 kg)
- Fuel Capacity: 5 gal. (18.9 L) (warning light at approximately 1.0 gal.)
- Frame: Mild steel tubular frame; rectangular section backbone; stamped, cast, and forged junctions; forged fender supports; MIG welded
- Swingarm: Mild steel, round tube sections, forged junctions; MIG welded
- Front Forks: 49 mm telescopic
- Rear Shocks: Hidden, horizontal-mounted, coil-over
- Suspension Travel: Front, 4.6 in. (117 mm); Rear, 3.1 in. (79 mm)
- Wheels: Gasser Cast Aluminum; Front: 21 in. x 3.5 in. (533 mm x 88.9 mm); Rear: 18 in. x 8 in. (457 mm x 203 mm)
- Tires: Front – D408F, 130/60B21 63H; Rear – D407, 240/40R18 79V
- Brakes: 4-piston fixed front, single rotor (292 mm x 5.1 mm); 2-piston floating rear (292 mm x 5.8 mm)
- Anti-lock Braking System: Optional
- Torque: 95.5 ft. lbs. @ 3000 RPM
- MPG: 42
- Lean Angle: right & left, 23.4°
2013 Harley-Davidson Breakout Color Options/Price (MSRP):
- Vivid Black: $17,899
- Big Blue Pearl: $18,299
- Ember Red Sunglo: $18,299