2013 Monster Energy AMA Arlington Supercross
2013 Monster Energy AMA Arlington Supercross
Spoiler Alert: 2013 Monster Energy AMA Supercross Championship results from Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas, listed below
The Monster Energy AMA Supercross headed east Saturday evening for the first time of 2013, the action getting underway inside Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas.
And following the 20-lap event, Monster Energy Kawasaki’s Ryan Villopoto took his third win of the 2013 SX season. The reigning champion led every lap of the main event, finishing ahead of Rockstar Energy Suzuki’s Davi Millsaps and Red Bull KTM’s Ryan Dungey, respectively.
Taking the Nuclear Cowboyz Holeshot award at round seven ahead of over 54,000 SX fans was Millsaps, followed by Villopoto and TwoTwo Motorsports Honda’s Chad Reed. But by the first turn, Villopoto took the lead off Millsaps, and a bit later Reed stole second.
As Villopoto extended his lead, Millsaps and Reed battled intensely. Millsaps regained second place on the third lap, and held it to the finish line. Reed was comfortably in third, but Dungey began putting on much pressure, eventually taking the final podium spot. Dungey would stalk Millsaps, but could not make a pass before the round ended.
Muscle Milk Honda’s Trey Canard would finish fourth, followed by Reed in fifth. As for Yoshimura Suzuki’s James Stewart, he won his heat race, but was unable to start the main event due to a broken clutch. He dropped to ninth in the championship.
As for Villopoto, this was his third victory of 2013 AMA Supercross, Arlington added to his wins at Anaheim III and Oakland, and his 27th victory in the 450 SX class.
Ryan Villopoto (Monster Energy Kawasaki KX450F Supercross) says: “Starts are definitely important. I’ve had a target on my back this year, everyone knows that, and it’s stressful. I’m just trying to have fun with riding again. If we get third, it’s on the podium, and if it’s second, that’s good too. Davi has been riding really good this year, so we have to just chip away at it. It’s going to take a while.”
As for Millsaps, this was his sixth podium in seven rounds, including two wins (Anaheim I and San Diego). As he has all season, Millsaps retains the championship points lead. With seven of 17 rounds complete, Millsaps has 154, 21 ahead of Dungey. Villopoto is in third, three points behind Dungey.
Davi Millsaps (Rockstar Energy Suzuki RM-Z 450) says: “It was definitely a good 20 laps. I haven’t ridden all week because I’ve been sick, so it’s good to come away with a strong finish. Ryan (Villopoto) rode really well, so you have to give it to him.”
In the opening round of the Easter Regional 250 SX Class Championship, which will be in action for the next eight rounds, Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki’s Dean Wilson was victorious.
A lot of excitement surrounded the first Eastern Regional 250SX Class Main Event of the season and out of the gate it was AG Motorsports Honda’s Kyle Peters who grabbed the Nuclear Cowboyz Holeshot Award. Behind him, Wilson and Rockstar Energy Racing’s Blake Wharton assumed second and third place, Feld Motor Sports says.
Wilson worked his way past Peters prior to the conclusion of the opening lap and then pulled away from the field to lead all 15 laps of the Main Event and claim his sixth career 250SX Class victory, Feld Motor Sports says.
Dean Wilson (Monster Energy Kawasaki KX250F Supercross) says: “This feels so good. It’s been 10 months waiting for that. I knew I needed to get the start, so I fought for it and it went well. I saw the leader and I knew I was good in the whoops, so I just went on the outside around him. He raced clean and I respect that. From there I just rode my own race.”
Wharton made a pass on Peters shortly after Wilson took over the lead and secured the runner-up position throughout the remainder of the Main Event. Earlier in the evening, Wharton needed a win in the LCQ in order to secure his spot in the Main Event. Peters battled to hold on to third place, but was passed by Honda rider Cole Thompson on Lap 6. After Thompson crashed out of the race, Peters reclaimed the spot, but succumbed to the pressure from GEICO Honda’s Wil Hahn on Lap 10. Hahn maintained the position to round out the podium, Feld Motor Sports says.
Wilson will carry a three-point lead into the second race of the championship next weekend.
Matt LeBlanc took the win in tonight’s KTM Junior Supercross Challenge, which was in action for the second time this season with 15 riders from around the region invited to compete, Feld Motor Sports says.
Next week, the 2013 Monster Energy AMA Supercross series heads to Georgia Dome in Atlanta.
2013 Monster Energy AMA Supercross 450 Class Results: Arlington
- Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki
- Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Suzuki
- Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., KTM
- Chad Reed, Australia, Honda
- Justin Brayton, Fort Dodge, Iowa, Yamaha
- Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, Ga., Honda
- Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda
- Matt Goerke, Lake Helen, Fla., KTM
- Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, Honda
- Broc Tickle, Holly, Mich., Suzuki
2013 Monster Energy AMA Supercross 450 Class Points (after seven of 17 rounds):
- Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Suzuki, 154
- Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., KTM, 133
- Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki, 130
- Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda, 119
- Chad Reed, Australia, Honda, 115
- Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, Ga., Honda, 98
- Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, Honda, 95
- Justin Brayton, Fort Dodge, Iowa, Yamaha, 83
- James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Suzuki, 75
- Matt Goerke, Lake Helen, Fla., KTM, 69
2013 Monster Energy AMA Eastern Regional 250 Class Results: Arlington
- Dean Wilson, Scotland, Kawasaki
- Blake Wharton, Pilot Point, Texas, Suzuki
- Wil Hahn, Decatur, Texas, Honda
- Kyle Peters, Greensboro, N.C., Honda
- Justin Hill, Yoncalla, Ore., Kawasaki
- Marvin Musquin, France, KTM
- Gavin Faith, Fort Dodge, Iowa, Honda
- Jimmy Decotis, Peabody, Mass., Honda
- Vince Friese, Cape Girardeau, Mo., Honda
- Lance Vincent, Youngsville, La., KTM
2013 Monster Energy AMA Eastern Regional 250 SX Class Points:
- Dean Wilson, Scotland, Kawasaki, 25
- Blake Wharton, Pilot Point, Texas, Suzuki, 22
- Wil Hahn, Decatur, Texas, Honda, 20
- Kyle Peters, Greensboro, N.C., Honda, 18
- Justin Hill, Yoncalla, Ore., Kawasaki, 16
- Marvin Musquin, France, KTM, 15
- Gavin Faith, Fort Dodge, Iowa, Honda, 14
- Jimmy Decotis, Peabody, Mass., Honda, 13
- Vince Friese, Cape Girardeau, Mo., Honda, 12
- Lance Vincent, Youngsville, La., KTM, 11
Arlington KTM Junior Supercross Challenge:
- Joseph Achatz, St. Augustine, Fla., KTM 50 SX
- Rider Vrzak, Mesquite, Texas, KTM 50 SX
- Ayden Smith, Lufkin, Texas, KTM 50 SX
- Whispern Smith, Midwest City, Okla., KTM 50 SX
- Bryan Prouty, Carlsbad, N.M., KTM 50 SX
- Nate Moen, Harrison, N.Y., KTM 50 SX
- Tristan McDonald, Texico, N.M., KTM 50 SX
- Matthew LeBlanc, Breaux Bridge, La., KTM 50 SX
- Colby Hardy, Livingston, La., KTM 50 SX
- Tug Greenslet, Bennington, Vt., KTM 50 SX
- Laney Cox, Hugo, Okla., KTM 50 SX
- Ryan Billock, Franklinton, N.C., KTM 50 SX
- Gavin Towers, Venetia, Pa., KTM 50 SX
- Christian Allen, Mobile, Ala., KTM 50 SX
- Nicholas Laurie, Waldorf, Md., KTM 50 SX