Suzuki V-Strom 1000 Concept
Suzuki V-Strom 1000 Concept
During two of the biggest international motorcycle shows of 2012 held this fall – the INTERMOT in Cologne, Germany, and EICMA in Milan, Suzuki displayed its V-Strom 1000 Concept.
This concept is Suzuki’s answer to the ever-changing adventure touring market, the bike a heavily revamped version of the current V-Strom 1000, which remained relatively unchanged from its introduction as the 2002 DL1000, as did its younger brother, the V-Strom 650.
The Concept – inspired by the 1988 DR750S – includes many changes over the current V-Strom 1000, including a revised 1000cc V-Twin, and the addition of ABS and traction control.
Perry Morison (General Manager, Suzuki Motorcycles) says: “Suzuki Motorcycles changed the adventure touring category forever when it developed the V-Strom 650 and introduced to the world an incredibly versatile, comfortable and fun-to-ride motorcycle.
“Our two V-Stroms, the 650 and 1000, are amont the best-selling adventure tourers and we are very excited about the release of a concept V-Strom 1000 as it shows the future direction of this popular model and of our organization.”
Besides the revamped engine, the Concept V-Strom 1000 features a redesigned aluminum frame, an inverted front fork and “easy-to-adjust” single-shock rear suspension. The Concept V-Strom arrives with better front brakes, along with the ABS and traction control.
Aesthetically, the Concept V-Strom has a totally redesigned front fairing, which takes styling cues from European competitors, such as the KTM 990 Adventure’s vertical headlight and the BMW R1200GS’ front beak. The Concept V-Strom also features a new seat and windscreen design. The concept also loses the twin exhaust featured on the current V-Strom 1000, and receives a single exhaust exiting on the right side.
Regarding luggage, the Suzuki V-Strom 1000 Concept features a new luggage system (likely optional on production bike), which provides a narrower width when installed, and a clean look when detached.
Suzuki didn’t release any further details, but plans to bring this revised V-Strom to the market in 2014. The question is…will they offer the same bike in the 650 range?
Suzuki V-Strom 1000 Concept Key Features (courtesy of Suzuki):
- Strong, rider-friendly Engine: A totally redesigned, liquid-cooled 1000cc V-twin engine produces effortless acceleration along with a strong V-twin rumble.
- Lightweight, well-balanced Chassis: Slim and lightweight aluminum frame, thickly padded seat and an adjustable windscreen provides an easy, comfortable, and fun to ride character.
- Brake and Suspension: Performance-inspired radial mount front brake caliper with Antilock Brake System provides riders confidence in braking on various road conditions. The V-Strom 1000 Concept also features an inverted front fork and an easy to adjust single shock style rear suspension.
- Distinctive Styling Design: Inspired by the 1988 DR750S-Suzuki’s first big on/off-road machine-the V-Strom 1000 Concept features bold and distinctive styling to create an unmatched presence.
- Advanced Traction Control System: Suzuki’s advanced traction control system is equipped for enhanced sport riding, performance, and the peace of mind to negotiate slippery surfaces with confidence.
- Luggage System: An all new luggage system was designed and tested in harmony with the big V-Strom’s overall development. The luggage system provides easy installation, a narrow overall width when installed, and a clean look when detached.