2012 SWM AMA-NATC MotoTrials National Series Round 1
Reigning AMA-NATC MotoTrials Champion Pat Smage got his title defense off to an aggressive start at the first round of the 2012 SWM AMA-NATC MotoTrials National Series, walking away with a commanding win at MotoVentures in Anza, Calif.
The event, which combined the National Round with the Southern California Trials Association’s 42nd annual El Trial de España event, saw Smage take his Sherco to a 15-point lead over runner-up Beta-mounted Cody Webb on the first loop. From there, Smage never looked back.
The event, which had GSO as a title sponsor, featured an afternoon shootout format with the top five morning finishers in the Pro class going toe-to-toe in spectacular spectator-friendly sections. Smage padded his huge lead by besting Webb 2-3 in the highly competitive shootout. Smage finished with 14 points to Webb’s 32.
Keith Wineland, who stood in fourth after the two morning loops, beat Karl Davis Jr. 16-19 in the shootout, putting Wineland on the podium by two points and dropping Davis to fourth. Bryan Roper, who was only two points behind Wineland going into the shootout, struggled in the afternoon, dropping 27 points.
MotoVentures SWM AMA-NATC MotoTrials National Series Results:
- Pat Smage (Sherco) – 14 points
- Cody Webb (Beta) – 32 points
- Keith Wineland (Gas Gas) – 71 points
- Karl Davis Jr. (Sherco) – 73 points
- Bryan Roper (Sherco) – 84 points
- Expert – Ray Peters (Beta)
- Expert 125 – Samuel Fastle (Sherco)
- Expert-Sportsman – Steve Deines (Gas Gas)
- High School – Quinn Wentzel (Sherco)
- Women Expert-Sportsman – Louise Forsley (Sherco)
- Junior – Andrew Putt (Sherco)
- Sportsman – Brad Hannon (Gas Gas)
- Women – Rachel Hassler (Gas Gas)
- Senior 35 – Devin Cannady (Gas Gas)
- Senior 40 – Keith Busch (Gas Gas)
- Senior 45 – Kevin Busch (Gas Gas)
- Senior 50 – Thomas Hedwall (Gas Gas)
- Senior 55 – Howard Galbreath (Beta)
- Senior 60 – Gary Lawver (Gas Gas)
- Senior 65 – Dale Malasek (Gas Gas)
- Senior 70 – Bill de Garis (Gas Gas)
- Senior 75 – Bill Thompson (Gas Gas)
- Twin Shock – David Meyer Clubman – Chase Abbott (Gas Gas)
- Clubwoman – Laura Paugh (Sherco)
Photos by Don WilliamsGoogle+