2012 Night of the Jumps FIM Freestyle Motocross
Twelve riders from seven countries met this Friday in Turin for the first round of the 2012 FIM Freestyle MX World Championship.
The audience in Palasport Olimpico witnessed a spectacular contest with the impressive return of former World Champion Libor Podmol and the equaling of the high jump world record by two Italian riders.
The three azzurri, Bianconcini, Vanni Oddera and Ivan Zucconi did battle with the international FMX elite. They were wildly cheered on by their fellow Italians, but it was not enough to reach the final round. Bianconcini finished in eighth place as the best Italian Stallion.
His annoyance at his lowly placing didn’t last long, however; Massimo was firstly able to win the Whip Contest and then dominate the Maxxis Highest Air contest together with team mate Ivan Zucconi. Jumping a massive 11:00 metres, both riders were cheered on by an enthusiastic crowd and matched the existing Step Up world record set in 2010.
Six riders, David Rinaldo (FRA), Brice Izzo (FRA), Clinton Moore (AUS), Maikel Melero (ESP), Remi Bizouard (FRA) and Podmol (CZE) did battle in the final contest, since world champion Javier Villegas (CHL) crashed out on the Double Up jump and was taken to hospital.
Clinton Moore missed the podium in the final stages, despite performing a 360 and a Volt. David Rinaldo was unable to defend a second place in qualifying, executing a Deadsailor Flip on the last jump. Brice Izzo is improving all the time, but is not yet able to break into the Top 3. Maikel Melero was rewarded instead with third place, jumping with his usual style.
Victory in the Italian Grand Prix was fought over by the two former World Champions, Remi Bizouard and Podmol, who showed everything from Hart Attack and Ruler Flip to Cliffhanger Flip and Indy Underflip. In the event, it was Podmol who won finally secured another NIGHT of the JUMPS victory by the narrowest of margins – just two points.
So in the FIM Freestyle MX World Championship, Podmol (20 points) leads from Bizouard (18 points) and Melero (16 points). That may change Friday, though, when the next world championship points will be awarded.
FIM Freestyle MX World Championships: Round 1, Turin, March 2, 2012:
1. Libor Podmol CZE ACCR Suzuki 392 Points
2. Remi Bizouard FRA FFM Yamaha 390 Points
3. Maikel Melero ESP RFME KTM 360 Points
4. Clinton Moore AUS MA Yamaha 338 Points
5. Brice Izzo FRA FFM Yamaha 331 Points
6. David Rinaldo FRA FFM Yamaha 320 Points
FIM Freestyle MX Results Qualification:
1. Remi Bizouard FRA RFME Honda 358 Points
2. Libor Podmol CZE ACCR Suzuki 350 Points
3. David Rinaldo FRA FFM Yamaha 339 Points
4. Clinton Moore AUS MA Yamaha 320 Points
5. Brice Izzo FRA FFM Yamaha 304 Points
6. Maikel Melero ESP RFME Yamaha 297 Points
7. Javier Villegas CHI FMC Yamaha 297 Points
8. Massimo Bianconcini ITAL PZM KTM 288 Points
9. Hannes Ackermann GER DMSB KTM 261 Points
10. Ivan Zucconi ITA PZM KTM 244 Points
11. Vanni Oddera ITA PZM KTM 231 Points
12. Jose Miralles ESP RFME KTM 0 Points
FIM Freestyle MX Results, Whip Contest:
1. Massimo Bianconcini ITAL PZM KTM
2. Remi Bizouard FRA RFME Honda
Results MAXXIS Highest Air
1. Ivan Zucconi ITA 11,0 Meter
2. Massimo Bianconcini ITA 11,0 Meter
3. Maikel Melero ESP 10,0 Meter
FIM Freestyle MX World Championships: Ranking (after 1st contest):
1. Libor Podmol CZE ACCR Suzuki 20 Points
2. Remi Bizouard FRA RFME Honda 18 Points
3. Maikel Melero ESP RFME KTM 16 Points
4. Clinton Moore AUS MA Yamaha 14 Points
5. Brice Izzo FRA FFM Yamaha 12 Points
6. David Rinaldo FRA FFM Yamaha 10 Points
7. Javier Villegas CHI FMC Yamaha 9 Points
8. Massimo Bianconcini ITAL PZM KTM 8 Points
9. Hannes Ackermann GER DMSB KTM 7 Points
10. Ivan Zucconi ITA PZM KTM 6 Points
11. Vanni Oddera ITA PZM KTM 5 Points
12. Jose Miralles ESP RFME KTM 4 Points