2012 Yamaha YZF-R15
The second largest motorcycle market in the world, India, will receive an upgraded YZF-R15 for 2012, the country’s flagship Supersport Yamaha.
The original YZF-R15 was launched in 2008, providing a supersport platform to a country where the mainstream motorcycles are primarily seen as a vehicle for commuting. The YZF-R15 arrived with a 150cc liquid-cooled, 4-stroke motor, providing riders with additional power, along with sporty styling and comfort.
For 2012, though, Yamaha revamped the YZF-R15, taking more technical features from the YZF-R1 and R6 sportbikes. The fuel-injected 2012 model provides a further evolution of the existing model’s basic performance while redesigning the body styling and boosting performance in sporty riding.
Yamaha says: "In addition to changes in the ECU (Engine Control Unit) control settings that have improved acceleration and high-speed range performance, a longer aluminum swing arm and rear radial tire have been adopted. These changes, in combination with the new middle cowl design with improved aerodynamics in the high-speed range and lighter construction, boost performance while also serving as elements in the new, sporty styling.
2012 Yamaha YZF-R15 Highlights:
- ECU control spec changes help achieve faster acceleration and high-speed performance
- A long aluminum swing arm and radial tire for the rear to contribute to better cornering performance
- Wider front and rear tires for better handling and stability: (Front: 80/90-17 – 90/80-17; Rear: 100/80-17 – 130/70-R17)
- Separate seat sections for an improved feeling of fit in sporty riding
- New-design middle cowl with improved aerodynamics in the high-speed range and tail cowl with LED taillights built in
- Cast wheels with a five-spoke look for a feeling of lightness
- Mud guard and sari guard attached to the swing arm
2012 Yamaha YZF-R15: India Stats
- Model name: Yamaha YZF-R15
- Release date: Late September, 2011
- Manufacturer’s suggested retail price: 107,000 Indian rupee
- Coloring: Deep Purplish Blue Metallic Y; Black Metallic X; Vivid Red Cocktail 1
- Sales target: 33,000 units (first year from time of release in India)
India Motorcycle Market Background and Yamaha YZF-R15 Outline (courtesy of Yamaha)
India is the world’s second largest motorcycle market with a current annual demand of more than 12 million units. Strong economic growth based on healthy domestic demand and a growing urban middle income demographic are expected to support continued motorcycle market growth in the future. About 80% of demand in the Indian market is for motorcycle type models of the 100cc to 200cc class, while the remaining 20% is primarily for scooters of the 125cc class and under. The leading customers in the motorcycle model category are young people in their twenties with a strong preference for European trends, and a growing number are interested in luxury products or longing to "step-up" to products of the next higher grade of quality. This has created a strong trade-in demand and a growing interest in sport bikes.
In this market the YZF-R15 was launched by Yamaha in 2008 as the first full-fledged supersport model in the 150cc class has won a broad-based following as a sport bike that enables riders to "enjoy riding" in environments ranging from city streets to winding roads and even on the race circuit. This popularity has helped establish a new 150cc supersport motorcycle category.
Two years after the release of the original Yamaha YZF-R15, a growing call has been heard from the market for a new YZF-R15 model with an even more sophisticated, sporty styling in the image of the YZF-R series. The 2012 Yamaha model change responds to this call with a combination of even sportier performance and a new body design that boost product appeal. It has been planned and developed with the clear aim of becoming an even stronger leader in the supersport model category.Google+