2012 Triumph Motorcycle
Triumph’s tagline for the 2012 Scrambler explains it all: “A modern interpretation of a timeless classic, the Scrambler demands attention wherever it goes.”
And there’s much attention directed towards this classic that takes styling from the famed 1960s motorcycles that the likes of famous actors such as Steve McQueen had stripped down for off-road racing.
What Triumph did was take this classic machine, with its high-swept chrome pipes and fork gaiters, and added modern technology to it.
The air-cooled, DOHC 865cc parallel twin has a 270-degree firing interval which helps produce that thumping sound, but is modded with modern fuel injection for flawless function and amazing fuel mileage; the Triumph Scrambler gets around 46 mpg in town, and 60 mpg on the highway.
Speaking of the 2012 Triumph Scrambler’s engine, the UK-based motorcycle company says the “legendary air-cooled 865cc engine delivers plenty of midrange torque. Ninety percent of peak torque is maintained from around 2,500rpm to redline, giving smooth power delivery.”
Keeping it classic is the key to its success, even down to the fuel injectors. One look at the Triumph’s twin, and it appears to have carburetors. But these are just the throttle bodies, which hide the fuel-injectors.
As for handling, the Scrambler features a classic, tubular-steel cradle frame with “supple front and rear suspension” that provides 120mm of travel up front, and 106mm of travel out back. Stopping the 506-lbs. Scrambler is a single 310mm disc up front squeezed by Nissin 2-piston floating caliper, and a single 255mm disc out back, also squeezed by a Nissin 2-piston floating caliper.
The wheels are all classic, also; both the 19-inch front and 17-inch rear feature 36 spokes each and arrive with light knobby tires. And while cruising on the Scrambler, comfort is enhanced by high, wide handlebars and high-set footpegs.
Following are the specs, color options and MSRP for the 2012 Triumph Scrambler.
2012 Triumph Scrambler Specs:
- Type: Air-cooled, DOHC, parallel-twin, 270º firing interval
- Capacity: 865cc
- Bore/Stroke: 90 x 68mm
- Fuel System: Multipoint sequential electronic fuel injection with SAI
- Exhaust: High level stainless steel headers with twin chromed silencers
- Final Drive: X ring chain
- Clutch: Wet, multi-plate
- Gearbox: 5-speed
- Oil Capacity: 4.5 litres (1.2 US gals)
- Frame: Tubular steel cradle
- Swingarm: Twin-sided, tubular steel
- Wheels: Front 36-spoke 19 x 2.5in; Rear 40-spoke 17 x 3.5in
- Tires: Front 100/90 19; Rear 130/80 17
- Suspension: Front Kayaba 41mm forks, 120mm travel; Rear Kayaba chromed spring twin shocks with adjustable preload, 106mm rear wheel travel
- Brakes: Front Single 310mm disc, Nissin 2-piston floating caliper: Rear Single 255mm disc, Nissin 2-piston floating caliper
- Length: 2213mm (87.1in)
- Width (handlebars): 860mm (33.8in)
- Height without mirrors: 1202mm (47.3in)
- Seat Height: 825mm (32.5in)
- Wheelbase: 1500mm (59.0in)
- Rake/Trail: 27.8º/105mm
- Fuel Tank Capacity / Efficiency: 16 litres (4.2 US gals)
- Wet Weight (ready to ride): 230 kg (506 lbs)
- Instrument Display/Functions: Analogue speedometer with odometer and trip information
Performance (measured at crankshaft):
- Maximum Power: 58bhp @ 6800rpm
- Maximum Torque: 50 ft.lbs @ 4750rpm
- Fuel Efficiency: 46 MPG City / 60 MPG Highway
2012 Triumph Scrambler Color Options/MSRP:
- Matte Black / $8,799
- Matte Khaki Green / $8,799