2012 Star Motorcycle
The only new bike in Star’s 2012 Linuep, the Raider SCL (Star Custom Line) will be one exclusive motorcycle, available for a select few.
Only 500 of the Raider SCL will be built, the customized machine bringing a limited uniqueness to the chopper scene.
The most stand-out thing that separates the SCL from the Raider S and Raider is the six-layer paint, which provides a high-metallic blazing orange.
Other features that bring the SCL additional uniqueness are the steel-mesh throttle cables, and clutch and brake lines, along with tastefully-chromed pieces, such as the pulley and belt guard.
Star, which is owned by Yamaha, says: “Great attention to detail was taken into consideration when designing the genuine leather two-tone seat with embossed SCL logo, and matching orange stitching – keeping the discerning cruiser customer in mind. Over time, the seat will develop a character of its own and will be unlike any other.
“An exclusive metal SCL badge with hologram is placed on top of the fuel tank as a constant reminder to its owner that only 500 of these unique machines exist.”
Following are the highlights, specs and the MSRP for the 2012 Star Raider SCL.
2012 Star Raider SCL Highlights:
- 113-cubic-inch (1854cc) air-cooled, OHV with 4 valves per cylinder, pushrod 48-degree V-twin pumps out max torque at just 2500 rpm and max power at 4500 rpm for powerful, relaxed cruising.
- Four pushrod-activated valves and two spark plugs per cylinder provide optimum combustion efficiency along with classically beautiful engine architecture.
- Ceramic-composite plated cylinders for superior heat dissipation with forged pistons cooled by oil jets. Provides outstanding reliability and longer engine life.
- 9.48:1 compression ratio and aggressive cam timing increase power output across the board.
- Computer-controlled, twin-bore fuel injection monitors multiple engine parameters to calculate perfect mixture under all conditions; wide-angle 12-hole fuel injectors provide excellent atomization.
- A 3.5-liter airbox is hidden in the area below the fuel tank for great performance and clean styling.
- Two-into-one-into-two exhaust with Exhaust Ultimate Power valve (EXUP®) inside boosts torque in the 2500-3500-rpm range.
- Special custom-machining of the cooling fin edges gives a jewel-like appearance to the engine as light hits it from different angles.
- All-aluminum cast frame is light, rigid, and tuned for light, athletic handling. A light, Controlled-Fill, aluminum swingarm casting complements the bike’s lithe style.
- Low, sculpted rider and passenger seat of exclusive, two-toned genuine leather with orange stitching set this bike apart while maintaining the Raider’s casual, urban cruising style ergonomics.
- A 6-degree yoke angle-the first ever on a street-legal Star Motorcycle-makes it possible to achieve that custom look as well as neutral handling and straight-line cruisability: 33-degree rake plus 6 degrees yoke angle gives total rake of 39 degrees and 102mm of trail.
- Custom 5-spoke wheels co-developed by Star and Performance Machine are chrome plated for uncommon custom beauty. There’s 120/70-21-inch tire up front, and a wide, 210/40-18 out back-the tallest and widest ever on a Star.
- 46mm fork tubes serve a sweet appearance and an excellent ride through 5.1 inches of wheel travel.
- A tucked-out-of-sight single shock out back provides a smooth ride under varying loads.
- The flangeless fuel tank gets a 6-layer paint process with meticulous application of Raider SCL’s exclusive metallic Blazing Orange paint for an unmatched look. It carries a full 4.2 gallons of fuel for an excellent cruising range.
- Front brake master cylinder with integrated lever operates a pair of 298mm front discs squeezed by strong monoblock calipers for excellent power and feel, with a 310mm disc out back.
- Strong, light and narrow belt final drive contains embedded carbon fiber for even greater strength.
- Wiring harness uses super-slim wires for compactness and lighter weight, and switchgear wiring is routed inside the handlebar for a clean appearance.
- Left-thumb operated high-beam switch, and right-thumb activated accessory driving light switch for great visibility.
- Jewel-like fit and finish, and Star quality paint, chrome and attention to detail are evident all over the Raider.
- Cool, tank-mounted instrumentation complements the custom look, and contains analog speedometer and fuel gauge, along with twin digital tripmeters, odometer and self-diagnostics.
- Bright multireflector headlight, LED taillight, and amber turn signals behind clear lenses give a custom look.
- 02 sensor and three-way catalyst reduce emissions.
- Raider SCL (Star Custom Line) comes equipped with billet wheels & pulley, custom leather seat, braided stainless steel throttle cables, clutch and brake hoses.
2012 Star Raider SCL Specs:
- Type: 113-cubic-inch (1854cc) air-cooled V-twin OHV, 4 valves/cylinder
- Bore x Stroke: 100.0 x 118.0mm
- Compression Ratio: 9.48:1
- Fuel Delivery: Twin-Bore electronic fuel injection; throttle position sensor
- Ignition: TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition
- Transmission: 5-speed, multiplate wet clutch
- Final Drive: Belt
- Frame: Double cradle
- Suspension / Front: Telescopic fork; 5.1-in travel
- Suspension / Rear: Swingarm; 3.5-in travel
- Brakes / Front: Dual hydraulic disc, 298mm
- Brakes / Rear: Hydraulic disc, 310mm
- Tires / Front: 120/70-21
- Tires / Rear: 210/40-18
- Wheels: 5-spoke cast
- Length: 101.2 in
- Width: 36.4 in
- Height: 45.9 in
- Seat Height: 27.4 in
- Ground Clearance: 5.8 in
- Wheelbase: 70.9 in
- Fuel Capacity: 4.2 gal
- Fuel Economy: 42 mpg
- Wet Weight: 729.9 lb
- Warranty: 1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)
2012 Star Raider SCL Color Options/MSRP:
- Blazing Orange / $19,990
Available from February 2012Google+