AMA Pro Flat Track Dates
The 19-round 2012 AMA Pro Flat Track schedule was released Wednesday, with the series kicking off March 15 in Daytona and ending Oct. 13 in LA County Fairplex, Pomona, Calif.
Also for the 2012 AMA Pro Harley-Davidson Insurance Grand National Championship presented by Motorcycle-Superstore.com, the Pro Singles class will appear in all 19 rounds.
2012 AMA Pro Flat Track Schedule:
- Daytona Flat Track I: Daytona Flat Track, Daytona Beach, Fla. (Short Track), March 15, 2012
- Daytona Flat Track II: Daytona Flat Track, Daytona Beach, Fla. (Short Track), March 16, 2012
- Springfield TT: Illinois State Fairgrounds, Springfield, Ill. (TT), May 26, 2012
- Springfield Mile: Illinois State Fairgrounds, Springfield, Ill. (Mile), May 27, 2012
- TBA: June 9, 2012
- Lima Half-Mile: Allen County Fairgrounds, Lima, Ohio (Half Mile), June 30, 2012
- Hagerstown, Half-Mile: Hagerstown Speedway, Md. (Half Mile), July 7, 2012
- I-96 Half-Mile: I-96 Speedway, Lake Odessa, Mich. (Half Mile), July 14, 2012
- Sacramento Mile: Cal Expo, Sacramento, Cailf. (Mile), July 28, 2012
- Castle Rock TT: Castle Rock Race Park, Castle Rock, Wash., (TT) Aug. 4, 2012
- Peoria TT: PMC Race Park, Peoria, Ill. (TT), Aug. 12, 2012
- Indy Mile: Indiana State Fairground, Indianapolis, Ind. (Mile), Aug. 18, 2012
- Springfield Short Track: Illinois State Fairgrounds, Springfield, Ill. (Short Track), Sept. 1, 2012
- Springfield Mile II: Illinois State Fairgrounds, Springfield, Ill. (Mile), Sept. 2, 2012
- Knoxville Half-Mile: Knoxville Raceway,Knoxville, Iowa (Half Mile), Sept. 8, 2012
- TBA: Sept. 15, 2012
- Santa Rosa Mile: Sonoma County Fairgrounds, Santa Rosa, Calif. (Mile), Sept. 30, 2012
- TBA: Oct. 6, 2012
- Flat Track Finale: LA County Fairplex, Pomona, Calif. (Half Mile), Oct. 13, 2012
From an AMA Press Release
AMA Pro Racing is pleased to announce the 2012 AMA Pro Flat Track schedule. The 19-round 2012 AMA Pro Harley-Davidson Insurance Grand National Championship presented by Motorcycle-Superstore.com schedule has 16 confirmed dates and three additional events in final negotiations.
Of the 16 confirmed events, the fire-breathing Grand National Twins will appear 10 times, which includes five half-mile and five mile tracks, and the 450cc Grand National Singles will be featured in three TT and three short track events. Every event on the 2012 calendar will also feature the Motorcycle-Superstore.com Pro Singles class, which debuted in 2009 and showcases the future stars of AMA Pro Flat Track piloting 450cc single-cylinder machines.
Once again the season will kick off with the traditional Bike Week doubleheader on March 15th and 16th, 2012 at the DAYTONA Flat Track, which is located just outside of Turns 1 and 2 at the mighty Daytona International Speedway in Daytona Beach, Fla. In the 2011 contest, Grand National Championship title contender Sammy Halbert swept the mid-week openers in dramatic fashion.
In the world of flat track racing, Memorial Day Weekend and the Illinois State Fairgrounds in Springfield, Ill. go hand in hand. May 26th, 2012 finds the Series at the Rodeo Arena for a TT race that serves to whet the appetite for the first "big bike" race of 2012, scheduled for the next day, May 27th, 2012. The Springfield Mile is one of the most coveted wins on the circuit and is one of the most highly-contested races each year.
Next up for the Series is a to-be-announced event scheduled for June 9th, 2012, with the series moving on to the first "cushion" race at the Allen County Fairgrounds in Lima, Ohio three weeks later on June 30th, 2012. The 2011 season saw the return of pea gravel to the Lima half-mile oval and the return of the sideways, rooster-tail shooting action.
The Series heads farther East on July 7th as Hagerstown, Md.’s Hagerstown Speedway hosts the only round on the east coast that features what is typically a very smooth, and very fast, half-mile track. Many consider this venue the "home track" for defending Grand National Champion Jake Johnson, and the New Jersey native will surely be looking to repeat his 2009 victory.
I-96 Speedway in Lake Odessa, Mich. returns to the series calendar on July 14th, 2012 with its always action-packed half-mile circuit, before the Series moves to the west coast on July 28th, 2012 for the Sacramento Mile at Cal-Expo in Sacramento, Calif., the highly-successful Bob Bellino-promoted event run alongside the California State Fair.
A drive up the coast will find the AMA Pro Flat Track stars back on their 450cc singles at the Castle Rock Race Park TT in Castle Rock, Wash. on August 4th, 2012. Next up is another TT, and the granddaddy of them all, scheduled for one week later at Peoria Race Park in Peoria, Ill. on August 12th, 2012. The Peoria TT has been a staple on the Grand National circuit since 1947 and still packs the hillsides with spectators eager to watch the high-flying singles take to the track.
The Indy Mile at the Indiana State Fairgrounds in Indianapolis, Ind., returns to the 2012 schedule on August 18th, 2012 and the event will once again coincide with both the Indiana State Fair and MotoGP’s state-side return for the Red Bull U.S. Grand Prix at Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
Labor Day Weekend means a return to the Illinois State Fairgrounds in Springfield, Ill. for a Short Track and another Mile, scheduled for September 1st and 2nd, 2012, respectively.
September 8th, 2012 will mark the return of the Series to Knoxville Raceway in Knoxville, Iowa. The 2011 event saw one of the closest finishes in the AMA Pro Flat Track’s long and storied history and all signs indicate that next year’s race will be just as close.
Details about an event scheduled for September 15th, 2012 will be released soon; following that race the Series will head to the Santa Rosa Mile at the Sonoma County Fairgrounds in Santa Rosa, Calif. on September 30th, 2012. The last time a Grand National was held at the beautiful fairgrounds was in 1970, which saw Jim Rice win the contest on a BSA.
The last to-be-announced event on the schedule is will be held on October 6th, 2012 before the 2012 AMA Pro Harley-Davidson Insurance Grand National Championship presented by Motorcycle-Superstore.com schedule comes to a close on October 13th, 2012 on the half-mile track at the LA County Fairplex in Pomona, Calif.Google+