The rain fell hard on the Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego last Saturday for the seventh round of 17 in the AMA Supercross series – also an FIM World Championship – but over 53,000 spectators were able to witness San Manuel Yamaha’s James Stewart seal a steady third position for his sixth podium result of the season on the YZ450F.
Thanks to a first corner tumble and seventh place finish for rival Ryan Villopoto (Monster Energy Kawasaki), Stewart was able to shrink the deficit at the top of the class standings to just three points as the Supercross series now moves away from the west coast.
The San Diego SX layout demanded a measure of caution in slick and difficult circumstances and would catch out numerous stars of the Supercross category.
Stewart held second position for a lion’s share of the 20-lap main event until he stalled his race-bike with just five circulations left before the flag. He dropped to fourth but kept pushing the Yamaha and was rewarded when Houston-winner Trey Canard (American Honda) slipped off and he made it to the podium ceremony.
James Stewart (San Manuel Yamaha Supercross) says: "That rut got pretty deep out there and unfortunately I just made a small mistake. I wasn’t riding good all day. It wasn’t my kind of track, and I just tried to do my best. My team did an awesome job, though and it was a good night and a good recovery from last week, so I just want to keep it rolling."
JGR Yamaha’s Davi Millsaps posted his second consecutive top five ranking with fifth while team- mate Justin Brayton placed a third YZ450F on the leader-board with tenth place.
Stewart holds a 13 point advantage over Chad Reed, who lies in third in the table, and can potentially overhaul Villopoto if he finishes ahead of the youngster next weekend at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta.
Qualcomm Stadium Supercross Results: 20 Laps
1. Chad Reed Honda AUS 19’01.203
2. Ryan Dungey Suzuki USA 0’05.796
3. James Stewart Yamaha USA 0’28.033
4. Trey Canard Honda USA 0’30.252
5. David D Millsaps Yamaha USA 0’32.007
6. Andrew Short KTM USA 0’33.695
7. Ryan Villopoto Kawasaki USA 0’34.924
8. Brett Metcalfe Suzuki AUS 0’35.893
9. Mike Alessi KTM USA 0’39.968
10. Justin Brayton Yamaha USA 0’57.510
11. Nicholas Wey Yamaha USA -1Laps
12. Kyle Regal Yamaha USA -1Laps
13. Fabien Izoird Kawasaki FRA -1Laps
14. Chris Blose Kawasaki USA -1Laps
15. Ivan Tedesco Kawasaki USA -1Laps
16. Michael Byrne Yamaha AUS -2Laps
18. Austin Stroupe Yamaha USA -11Laps
19. Weston Peick Yamaha USA -13Laps