2011 AMA Arenacross
The AMA Arenacross Series’ return to Louisville was a memorable one as the nation’s fastest arenacross riders put on a show for the fans in attendance from the Freedom Hall, Louisville, Ky., on Saturday night.
In front of his hometown crowd, Babbitt’s Monster Energy/TiLUBE Kawasaki presented by Maxxis’ Tyler Bowers, of Danville, Ky., captured his third win of the 2011 season while also taking over the Arenacross class points lead.
In the Arenacross Lites main event, Hot Rod MX Honda’s Austin Coon, of Spencer, W.Va., grabbed his first career victory in the fourth round of the Eastern Regional Championship.
Bowers was excited about his return home and showed it with a convincing win at the Freedom Hall. After taking the lead early, Bowers never looked back and gradually began pulling away from the field, led by TUF Honda’s Jeff Gibson, of Blacklick, Ohio, who held the points lead coming into the evening.
As the checkered flags flew on the 25-lap main event, Bowers had extended his lead to four seconds. Gibson suffered misfortune in the closing laps and was beat to the line by his TUF Honda teammate Cole Siebler, of Emmett, Idaho, but held onto the final podium spot.
As the 2011 championship heads to the halfway point, Bowers holds a two-point lead over Gibson. Both riders boast a series-leading three victories apiece.
With Eastern Regional points leader Adam Gulley not in attendance, it was an opportunity for his championship rivals to take advantage and put themselves in the mix.
After a heated battle, it was Coon who prevailed, outlasting Gateway Cycles Kawasaki’s Steven Mages, of Sardinia, Ohio, for the win. Foremost Insurance/Spinechillers/HondaofFairfield.com’s Patrick Massie, of Washington Court, Ohio, rounded out the podium in third.
Massie’s podium effort moved him from second to first in the championship standings, eight points ahead of Gulley.
The AMA Arenacross Series continues next weekend with the start of its west coast swing, beginning with two nights of action from Reno, Nev., and the Livestock & Events Center. The racing commences on Friday, February 18, at 7 p.m. PT.
Arenacross Class Results (Louisville, Kentucky)
- Tyler Bowers, Danville, Ky., Kawasaki
- Cole Siebler, Emmett, Idaho, Honda
- Jeff Gibson, Blacklick, Ohio, Honda
- Chad Johnson, Rhinelander, Wis., Kawasaki
- Zach Ames, Prospect, Ohio, Honda
- Nathan Skaggs, Chilicothe, Ohio, Honda
- Gray Davenport, Lehi, Utah, Kawasaki
- Cory Green, Nowata, Okla., Suzuki
- Kelly Smith, Ludington, Mich., Yamaha
- Dave Ginolfi, Lake Hopatlong, N.J., Suzuki
AMA Arenacross Lites Class Results (Louisville, Kentucky)
- Austin Coon, Spencer, W. Va., Honda
- Steven Mages, Sardinia, Ohio, Kawasaki
- Patrick Massie, Washington Court, Ohio, Honda
- Nick Click, St. Clair, Mo., Honda
- Kyle Goerke, Lake Helen, Fla., Suzuki
- Michael Furlin, Pismo Beach, Calif., Honda
- Kenneth Henry, Ashtabula, Ohio, KTM
- Austin Primavera, Larue, Ohio, Suzuki
- Ronnie Hapner, Nappanee, Ind., Kawasaki
- Tyler Sehr, Belleville, Ill., Honda
Arenacross Class Points (After Race 7 of 19)
- Tyler Bowers, Danville, Ky., Kawasaki – 177
- Jeff Gibson, Blacklick, Ohio, Honda – 175
- Chad Johnson, Rhinelander, Wis., Kawasaki – 158
- Cole Siebler, Emmett, Idaho, Ho nda – 131
- Zach Ames, Prospect, Ohio, Honda – 128
- Gray Davenport, Lehi, Utah, Kawasaki – 126
- Nathan Skaggs, Chillicothe, Ohio, Honda – 104
- Kelly Smith, Ludington, Mich., Yamaha – 91
- Kevin Johnson, Spring, Texas, Yamaha – 87
- Cory Green, Nowata, Okla., Suzuki – 86
Arenacross Lites Class Eastern Regional Points (After Race 5 of 10)
- Patrick Massie, Washington Court, Ohio, Honda – 103
- Adam Gulley, Jonesburg, Mo., Kawasaki – 95
- Steve Mages, Sardinia, Ohio, Kawasaki – 86
- Austin Coon, Spencer, W.V., Honda – 78
- Tyler Sehr, Belleville, Ill., Honda – 65
- Kyle Goerke, Lake Helen, Fla., Suzuki – 56
- Scott Zont, Algonquin, Ill., Honda – 47
- Austin Primavera, Larue, Ohio, Suzuki – 43
- Kyle White, Freeport, Ill., Honda – 38
- Kenneth Henry, Ashtabula, Ohio, KTM – 36
New for 2011! Live timing and scoring from each round of the AMA Arenacross Series. To follow the intense racing action live, log onto Arenacross.com.Google+