2011 AMA Arenacross
With a series-leading seven victories, Babbitt’s Monster Energy/TiLUBE Kawasaki presented by Maxxis’ Tyler Bowers has a target on his back as the 2011 AMA Arenacross Series returns to Greenville, S.C., and the BI-LO Center on Saturday night.
Bowers currently leads the Arenacross class championship and is in the midst of a five-race winning streak. His most recent performance last weekend from Wichita was arguably his most impressive to date, overcoming a bad start in which he sat outside the top five. Despite the adversity, Bowers battled through a talented field of riders to take the lead with just over a handful of laps to go.
With 10 podium efforts in 12 races, Bowers continues to put forth one of the most impressive seasons in AMA Arenacross Series history. Currently, his advantage over TUF Honda’s Jeff Gibson sits at 31 points while his Babbitt’s Monster Energy/TiLUBE Kawasaki teammate Chad Johnson continues to surge and sits just an additional four points behind on the heels of back-to-back runner-up efforts.
After a strong start to the season, Gibson has experienced some trouble the last couple weeks and while his closest rival in the championship continues to excel, he’s looking to bounce back and get back on top of the box.
While his overall effort this season is still exceptional and in most cases would be enough to possibly put him at the forefront of the championship, Bowers is in the midst of one of the most impressive runs the AMA Arenacross Series has ever seen and Gibson is aware that the time is now to make his move.
Jayme Dalsing (AMA Arenacross Series Director) says: "Tyler is simply incredible right now. He’s been at the top of his game recently and while Jeff has been right there with him, the bad luck he’s experienced the last couple weeks has hurt him in the standings. With Chad Johnson closing in as well, I think you’ll see Gibson come out firing for the last five weeks of the season."
The AMA Arenacross Series round from Greenville is the first in the city since the 2007 season and the much anticipated return will be highlighted by Bowers and his exceptional competition in the Arenacross class. Additionally, the Arenacross Lites Eastern Regional Championship will return to action after a three-week break.
Currently, Foremost Insurance/Spinechillers Racing/HondaofFairfield.com’s Patrick Massie sits atop the standings and with one win to his credit already this season, he’ll be looking to inch even closer to bringing home a title to the veteran Spinechillers Racing squad.
Advance tickets are available for the Greenville Arenacross at the BI-LO Center Box Office, Ticketmaster charge by phone and ticketmaster.com. Tickets cost $2 more the day of the race.
Arenacross Class Points (After Race 12 of 19)
- Tyler Bowers, Danville, Ky., Kawasaki – 277
- Jeff Gibson, Blacklick, Ohio, Honda – 246
- Chad Johnson, Rhinelander, Wis., Kawasaki – 242
- Gray Davenport, Lehi, Utah, Kawasaki – 189
- Zach Ames, Prospect, Ohio, Honda – 179
- Kelly Smith, Ludington, Mich., Yamaha – 164
- Nathan Skaggs, Chillicothe, Ohio, Honda – 161
- Cole Siebler, Emmett, Idaho, Ho nda – 153
- Kevin Johnson, Spring, Texas, Yamaha – 140
- Cory Green, Nowata, Okla., Suzuki – 130
Arenacross Lites Class Eastern Regional Points (After Race 6 of 10)
- Patrick Massie, Washington Court, Ohio, Honda – 103
- Adam Gulley, Jonesburg, Mo., Kawasaki – 95
- Steve Mages, Sardinia, Ohio, Kawasaki – 86
- Austin Coon, Spencer, W.V., Honda – 78
- Tyler Sehr, Belleville, Ill., Honda – 65
- Kyle Goerke, Lake Helen, Fla., Suzuki – 56
- Scott Zont, Algonquin, Ill., Honda – 47
- Austin Primavera, Larue, Ohio, Suzuki – 43
- Kyle White, Freeport, Ill., Honda – 38
- Kenneth Henry, Ashtabula, Ohio, KTM – 36
New for 2011! Live timing and scoring from each round of the AMA Arenacross Series. To follow the intense racing action live, log onto Arenacross.com.Google+