Back in 2008, Darwin Motorcycles’ Dar Holdsworth had an idea for an American Muscle Bike that would support the US Military.
But due to the dire economy, the idea was shelved.
Dar Holdsworth says: “I do a bike every year that supports the US military. I knew with such a tight economy, I’d have to do something big to get contributions from the top suppliers I was seeking to partner with. I wanted to build a no-compromise American Muscle Bike.”
Soon Holdsworth partnered with the Rahal Letterman Lanigan race team, and decided to build a motorcycle that pays tribute to Bobby Rahal’s storied championship racing career as well as compliment his world class race team.
And thus the the Darwin RLX was born, a custom motorcycle that was built completely by hand.
Dar Holdsworth says: “The components (listed below) have been generously donated by these exceptional suppliers and Darwin Motorcycles has built the bike for free. The bike had a sneak peek at SEMA last year as a roller and officially debuted at the 2011 Indy 500 with Team Rahal.
“The bike was entered in and Won the AMD World Championships of Custom Bike Building (production class).”
But the best part of this custom motorcycle? The Darwin RLX was raffled off to support US Military-focused charities SteelAnchor.org & Pros For Vets (Pros4Vets.org); log onto Darwin Motorcycles for additional information.
Attached above are some pics of this unique custom from Darwin.
Darwin Motorcycles : RLX
- S&S 132″ X-wedge
- Baker FFP primary w/ Baker King Kong Clutch
- Baker 6 Speed Transmission
- 2 into 1 into 3 stainless exhaust built by Darwin Motorcycles (materials from D&D)
- Beringer Dual 4 piston front and single 4 piston rear brakes
- Beringer hand controls
- Brock’s Performance BST Carbon Fiber wheels 19″x120mm front, 19″x180mm rear
- World Ceramic Bearings
- Dunlap Sportmax tires
- Ohlins Road/Track suspension
- Racing Innovations Muscle Bike frame: 25 degrees rake
- Autometer STACK race gauge
- Braille carbon fiber battery
- Vortex clip ons
- Vortex sprocket
- Vortex gas cap
- Vortex/Darwin foot controls with reverse shifting (GP style 1 up – 5 down)
- Joker Machine bar end mirrors
- Motion Pro cables & switches
- MoFlo Air Cleaner
- Alloy Art headlight
- Hix Design custom seat
- Escort / Passport radar detector (machined into top clamp)
- Cycle Electric Regulator & Stator
- Darwin tag bracket
- Darwin custom Top Clamp & rear brake hanger using Summit Machine.
- Custom body work by Darwin Motorcycles
- Front Fender: Shark Skins
- Paint: Manny’s Ink & Air