Spoiler Alert: 2011 Monza World Superbike Race 2 results revealed below.
The 2011 World Superbike Championship wrapped up Round 4 Sunday afternoon with a tight battle for the checkered flag during race 2 at Monza.
It was the Yamaha World Superbike teammates battling, with Eugene Laverty (Ireland) taking Marco Melandri (Italy) on the last corner to make it a double at Monza, Italy, Sunday.
Taking the final spot after the 18-lap race was Suzuki Alstare’s Michel Fabrizio; the Italian just held off Noriyuki Haga on the Pata Aprilia RSV4.
Fifth went to Troy Corser on the BMW Motorrad S1000RR.
The other big news came from the reigning World Superbike Champions’ paddock. After cutting a chicane in an incorrect fashion, Alitalia Aprilia’s Max Biaggi had to undergo a ride-through penatly. He went on to finish fifth. A full report of race 1 and race 2 of 2011 Monza World Superbike to follow.
With his double win, Laverty moves to fifth in the championship standings. Althea Ducati’s Carlos Checa leads the championship with 145 points.
2011 Monza World Superbike: Race 2 Results:
1. Eugene Laverty ( IRL) Yamaha 31m19.948s
2. Marco Melandri (ITA) Yamaha +0.327s
3. Michel Fabrizio (ITA) Suzuki +2.466s
4. Noriyuki Haga (JPN) Aprilia +2.583s
5. Troy Corser (AUS) BMW +4.502s
6. Aryton Badovini (ITA) BMW +10.865s
7. Sylvain Guintoli (FRA) Ducati
8. Max Biaggi (ITA) Aprilia
9. Joan Lascorz Kawasaki
10. Carlos Checa (SPA) Ducati
2011 World Superbike Championship points after four of 13 rounds:
1. Carlos Checa )Ducati) 145
2. Marco Melandri (Yamaha) 118
3. Max Biaggi (Aprilia) 117
4. Jonathan Rea (Honda) 89
5. Eugene Laverty (Yamaha) 85
6. Leon Haslam (BMW) 84
7. Michel Fabrizio (Suzuki) 74
8. Leon Camier (Aprilia) 58
9. Jakub Smrz (Ducati) 55
10. Noriyuki Haga (Aprilia) 47