2011 Dakar Rally Video
Marc Coma’s start to Stage 10 of the 2011 Dakar Rally wasn’t the best, but a mistake by fellow KTM rider Cyril Despres gave the Spaniard the victory on Wednesday. Taking third was another KTN 450 Rally rider, Ruben Faria.
Stage 10 took the motorcycle Dakar field from Copiapo to Chilecito. Out of 186 motorcycles that started the 2011 Dakar, 103 remain heading into Stage 11 on Thursday.
Overall, after Wednesday’s performance, Coma has extended his lead to over 18 minutes ahead of Despres, with Francisco "Chaleco" Lopez trailing by 45 minutes in third. The next nearest bike is the Yamaha ridden by Helder Rodrigues, who is 1.24:37" behind.
During Stage 11 on Thursday, the motorcycle Dakar rider will go through a 722-km special after 164-km liason in the canyons at the foothills of the Andes. The riders will be challenged as they travel from Chilecito to San Juan.
2011 Dakar Rally Stage 10 Results
1. Marc Coma, Spain, KTM, 3:06:35
2. Cyril Despres, France, KTM, at 9:56
3. Ruben Faria, Portugal, KTM, at 13:22
4. Miran Stanovnik, Slovenia, KTM at 21:26
5. Chaleco Lopez, Chile, Aprilia at 21:43
2011 Dakar Rally Standings after Stage 10
1. Marc Coma, Spain, KTM, 38:39:31
2. Cyril Despres, France, KTM, at 18:10
3. Chaleco Lopez, Chile, Aprilia at 45:16
4. Helder Rodrigues, Portugal, Yamaha, 1:24:37
5. Ruben Faria, Portugal, KTM, at 1:34:42