Fiat Yamah Jorge Lorenzo continued his winning ways by topping the time sheets on day one at the Grand Prix of Catalunya during Free Practice at Montmeló. Wataru Yoshikawa joined him on the other side of the garage, the Japanese filling in for the injured Valentino Rossi.
Watrua Yoshikawa has completed many miles on the M1 during testing but he admitted that the Valentino Rossi MotoGP bike he rode today was a little different to the winter development prototype.
The 41-year-old from Tokyo has also had to learn the track, having never ridden at Catalunya before, but he was happy with his first day of work in the factory team and is looking forward to making a step forward tomorrow after finishing 17th today.
Watura Yoshikawa says: “I have already ridden many laps on the M1 but this bike of Valentino’s feels quite different to the test bike and I need some more time to become used to it. Today was quite tough because in this heat the track was quite slippery, which didn’t make it so easy for me to learn it, but I felt better by the end. We need to do some more laps and I will be ready to improve tomorrow.”
Davide Brivio (Rossi Team Manager) says: “Today gave Wataru a chance to learn the track, which is new to him, and to give an initial indication of the bike setting to the team. It will be interesting now to see how much we can improve during the weekend, as he becomes more comfortable on the bike.”
Combined Free Practice Times
1. Jorge Lorenzo (SPA) Fiat Yamaha Team 1’43.259
2. Casey Stoner (AUS) Ducati Marlboro Team 1’43.412
3. Dani Pedrosa (SPA) Repsol Honda Team 1’43.631
4. Andrea Dovizioso (ITA) Repsol Honda Team 1’43.725
5. Ben Spies (USA) Monster Yamaha Tech 3 1’43.854
6. Aleix Espargaro (SPA) Pramac Green Team 1’44.136
7. Randy de Puniet (FRA) LCR Honda MotoGP 1’44.196
8. Nicky Hayden (USA) Ducati Marlboro Team 1’44.440
9. Colin Edwards (USA) Monster Yamaha Tech 3 1’44.551
10. Marco Simoncelli (ITA) San Carlo Honda Gresini 1’44.634
11. Loris Capirossi (ITA) Rizla Suzuki MotoGP 1’44.641
12. Alvaro Bautista (SPA) Rizla Suzuki MotoGP 1’44.692
13. Mika Kallio (FIN) Pramac Green Team 1’44.745
14. Marco Melandri (ITA) San Carlo Honda Gresini 1’44.806
15. Hector Barbera (SPA) Aspar Team 1’45.004
16. Kousuke Akiyoshi (JPN) Interwetten Honda MotoGP 1’47.757
17. Wataru Yoshikawa (JPN) Fiat Yamaha Team 1’48.015