Latvia, Oct. 23, 2010: 8,000 motorcycle fans turned out for the Latvian Grand Prix of this season’s NIGHT of the JUMPs / FIM Freestyle Motocross World Championship at the Arena Riga.
There was plenty of anticipation surrounding the encounter between reigning FMX champion Remi Bizouard, current freestyle motocross championship leader Libor Podmol making his comeback, and winner of the Suzuki NIGHT of the JUMPs in Cologne, Brice Izzo.
Muscling in on qualifying, which had been billed as a three-way battle of the current FMX icons, was Spanish torero Jose Miralles who made a clean run to go into the FMX final in third place.
Brice Izzo emerged strongest from the preliminary round, putting himself ahead with a perfect Stripper Flip. Libor Podmol made light of his injuries, laying on a tour de force of all his best stunts that earned him second place in qualifying.
FIM FMX World Champion Bizouard had to settle for fourth. Following him into the next round were Brody Wilson and an impressive Petr Pilat.
Catching the eye amongst the German contingent were Fabian Bauersachs and Hannes Ackermann. Alastair Sayer at last produced another of his underflips – long time no see.
The third Czech contender on the evening, Martin Koren, also thrilled the audience. Unfortunately, Massimo Bianconcini took a severe tumble but was soon back on his feet.
In the Race & Style contest, Brice Izzo just edged out Martin Koren. In the Highest Air category, Africa’s high-jump specialist Alastair Sayer emerged victorious with a jump of 8.5 metres.
With all this action in the arena, there was no particular need to whip up a frenzy for the grand finale. Even so, Latvian contestant Martins Alexandrovics brought the Arena Riga to its feet with the first ever backflip from a local FMX hero.
The six finalists lapped up the adulation of the crowd and pumped themselves up for their runs. It turned into a genuine six-way battle as the FMX riders pulled every trick they had out of the bag.
Petr Pilat’s side saddle take-off flip to side saddle landing boosted him up to P5. Meanwhile, Brody Wilson wowed the judges to go second.
In the final, Remi Bizouard came up with his best ruler flip, but even that wasn’t good enough for a place on the podium. Libor Podmol, who was doggedly chasing every single championship point, would certainly have ended up there if he hadn’t taken a fall in his Underflip Indy in the double-up.
Brice Izzo’s run that included a stripper and Superman Seatgrab Flip would certainly have finished the day on top if he had (incredibly) not forgotten an item in his programme. Even so, he still claimed third position on the night.
Victory in the Grand Prix of the NIGHT of the JUMPs in Latvia went to Spaniard Jose Miralles who was performing a Superman Seatgrab Flip Indy for the first time in public.
This triumph in Latvia rocketed the Spanish rider to the top of the FIM Freestyle MX World Championships. Just two points behind are Brice Izzo and Libor Podmol in equal second. So the rest of the season promises to be very exciting.
Next weekend, the NIGHT of the JUMPs moves to Mannheim (Germany) for the UEM Freestyle European Cup. The next championship points are up for grabs on the weekend of 20th/21st November in Ostrava (Czech Republic).
FACTS NIGHT of the JUMPs – FIM Freestyle MX World Championships – Riga, 23rd Oktober 2010 – Round 8
FMX Results NIGHT of the JUMPs – Final
1. Jose Miralles ESP RFME KTM 386 Points
2. Brody Wilson USA AMA Yamaha 375 Points
3. Brice Izzo FRA FFM Yamaha 370 Points
4. Remi Bizouard FRA FFM Yamaha 356 Points
5. Petr Pilat CZE ACCR KTM 344 Points
6. Libor Podmol CZE ACCR Suzuki 330 Points
FMX Results Qualification
1. Brice Izzo FRA FFM Yamaha 355 Points
2. Libor Podmol CZE ACCR Suzuki 334 Points
3. Jose Miralles ESP RFME KTM 327 Points
4. Remi Bizouard FRA FFM Yamaha 325 Points
5. Brody Wilson USA AMA Yamaha 317 Points
6. Petr Pilat CZE ACCR KTM 316 Points
7. Fabian Bauersachs GER DMSB Suzuki 308 Points
8. Alastair Sayer BOT MSA Suzuki 306 Points
9. Hannes Ackermann GER DMSB KTM 281 Points
10. Martin Koren CZE ACCR KTM 276 Points
11. Lukas Weis GER DMSB Suzuki 254 Points
12. Aleksey Koleshnikov RUS KTM 246 Points
13. Massimo Bianconcini ITAL DMSB KTM 224 Points
FMX Results Race & Style
1. Brice Izzo FRA FFM Yamaha
2. Martin Koren CZE ACCR KTM
3. Alastair Sayer BOT MSA Suzuki
4. Hannes Ackermann GER DMSB KTM
1. Alastair Sayer BOT MSA Suzuki 8,50 Meter
2. Jose Miralles ESP RFME KTM 8,00 Meter
FIM Freestyle MX World Championships – Ranking (after 8th contest)
1. Jose Miralles ESP RFME KTM 124 Points
2. Libor Podmol CZE ACCR Suzuki 122 Points
3. Brice Izzo FRA FFM Yamaha 122 Points
4. Brody Wilson USA AMA Yamaha 79 Points
5. Massimo Bianconcini ITAL DMSB KTM 73 Points
6. Rob Adelberg AUS MA Yamaha 72 Points
7. Remi Bizouard FRA FFM Yamaha 68 Points
8. Alastair Sayer BOT MSA Suzuki 62 Points
9. Fabian Bauersachs GER DMSB Suzuki 62 Points
10. Petr Pilat CZE ACCR KTM 59 Points
11. Lukas Weis GER DMSB Suzuki 53 Points
12. Hannes Ackermann GER DMSB KTM 44 Points
13. David Rinaldo FRA FFM Yamaha 43 Points
14. Martin Koren CZE ACCR KTM 18 Points
15. Marcelo Simoes BRA CBM Yamaha 10 Points
16. Kai Haase GER DMSB Suzuki 8 Points
17. Aleksey Koleshnikov RUS KTM MFR 4 Points
18. Freddy Peters GER DMSB Yamaha 3 Points